VAT refunds are available for those who want to build new homes. You can avail them on building materials and services if you want to build a new home, convert a property into a home or to building a non-profit communal residence. You can also avail VAT if you want to build a property for a charity. The building work and materials must qualify and you need to apply to HM Revenue and Customs within three months of completing the work.
VAT basics include: For new homes must be separate and self-contained, be for you or your family to live or holiday in and they must not be for business purposes. The building being converted need to be a non-residential building. Residential buildings may qualify in case they haven’t been lived in for ten years (at least). It is possible to make a claim for a refund for builders’ work on a conversion of the nonresidential building into a home. For communal and charity buildings, you can get this fund in case the building is for a non-business purpose, charitable, or residential. You can also claim a VAT refund for building materials that are incorporated into the building and which cannot be removed without tools or without causing damage to the building.
VAT Helpline Customer Service
• Telephone: 0300 200 3700
• Textphone: 0300 200 3719
• Other than the UK: +44 2920 501 261
You must have your VAT registration postcode and number. In case you are not VAT registered, you must have your postcode.
It is not possible to pay or agree time for payment on the phone.
VAT Operational timings:
• Monday to Friday – 8 am to 6 pm,
• Most suitable time to call:
• It is best to call between 8 am and 11 am during the weekdays.
• In case you want help with a technical issue or require information about the ‘known facts’ essential to enrol for VAT Online services gets in touch with VAT Online Services Helpdesk.
Using email form will help you receive an answer faster:
• Your message with the help of this form is safe. In case HMRC reply using email the information is not protected. In case HMRC requires to get in touch with you regarding anything private, they will answer through phone or by post.
• To also extensive questions or ones with an attachment by post should be sent to:
HM Revenue and Customs – VAT Written Enquiries Team
Alexander House 21 Victoria Avenue Southend-On-Sea SS99 1BD United Kingdom
Rate VAT Customer Service!
Tell people what you think. Help others by sharing your experience with VAT